In March 1904 the Società Aeronautica Italiana (SAI) was born in Milan with the aim of promoting and stimulating the interest of Italians towards flying.
The following year, in Paris, on 12 October 1905, the International Aeronautical Federation (FAI) was established, bringing together a consortium of 7 countries – Italy, Belgium, France, Germany, Spain, Switzerland and the USA – with the aim of “Methodically catalog the best performances achieved, so that they are known to all, to identify their distinctive characteristics so as to allow comparison…”
The aeronautical scene, in that period, was in great turmoil and was evolving rapidly through the establishment of new associations.
In 1909, in fact, the Società Aviazione Torino (SAT) was founded in Turin, the Circolo Aeronautico Napoletano was founded in Naples and, near Padua (in Bovolenta), the first Italian civil aerodrome was inaugurated .
The official date of the birth of the Aero Club of Italy was decided on 22 November 1911, whose presidency was assumed by Prince Ludovico Potenziani, supported by a constitutive Council of delegates from the Ministries of War and the Navy and by representatives of the various associations existing prior to the establishment of the new body.
The Aero Club of Italy thus unified the exercise of national aeronautical sporting power, consequently becoming the official representative of Italy within the FAI.